Connecticut Child Support

Divorce Papers > Divorce Child Support > Connecticut Child Support

If a person desires to open a child support case, it can be done using the following methods.

  • Filing directly in the Superior Court. Usually, if the person has a private lawyer, then he/she prefers this method
  • Calling the local Department of Social Services (DSS) Bureau of Child Support Enforcement Office

If a person wishes to modify an existing child support order, the following 2 ways exist.

  • Appealing in the Superior Court, if the case was initially filed directly in this court
  • If the case was initially filed via DSS, then by calling the Support Enforcement Services Child Support Call Center of the Judicial Branch
IV-D program of Divorce Connecticut Child Support

'IV-D' is read as 'four-D'. This is a Child Support Enforcement Program that is administered by the government. This name is derived from Title IV-D of the Social Security Act. In Connecticut, a case is regarded to be IV-D if the following situations exist.

  • The application for service was filed with any one of the following
    • The Support Enforcement Unit
    • The Department of Social Services
  • The family has received public assistance benefits
The execution of IV-D programs comprises of the following activities.
  • Offering services of payment processing
  • Confirming that the support orders are appropriate and reviewing and adjusting them
  • Enforcing child support orders
  • Establishing medical and financial support orders
  • Establishing paternity
  • Locating a non custodial parent
Enforcement of Divorce Connecticut Child Support

Let us assume that the parents have applied for IV-D services. Then, there are 3 methods that the Support Enforcement Unit can use to enforce the child support order.

Suspension of License

The non custodial parent's recreational, occupational, professional and driver's license can be suspended after thirty days have passed since this parent has failed to abide by the court order.


The court may find out if the non custodial parent has intentionally not adhered to the court order. Such a parent is in contempt and may be asked to disburse a lump sum amount of money. Alternatively, this parent can be imprisoned till a particular amount of money is paid.

Income Withholding

The court might issue orders that money may be subtracted from the non custodial parent's income. The term 'income' refers to the following.

  • Wages
  • Retirement benefits
  • Unemployment compensation
  • Worker's compensation
  • Overtime pay
Modification of Connecticut Child Support Order

When a parent files for alteration of this order, the 4 points below mentioned must be kept in mind.

  • The parent may hire a lawyer who would file a motion to alter the order and represent the parent in the court
  • The parent may file a motion to alter the order and represent self in court. This is termed as 'pro se' representation
  • The parent must compulsorily attend the court hearing. If this step is not taken, the judge will not modify the order
  • In case the parent has applied for IV-D services, this parent can request the Support Enforcement Services Unit to evaluate the order and conclude whether a modification is essential. This Unit assesses if there is a 'considerable deviation' from the Connecticut Child Support and Arrearage Guidelines in the existing order (i.e. it is verified if the present order is 15 percent different from the Guidelines). If yes, the Unit files a motion asking for a modification. However, the Unit does not represent either parent at modification hearings

Divorce Papers

How To File For Divorce
Divorce lawyers
Divorce Laws
Divorce Mediation
Divorce Statistics
Uncontested Divorce
No Fault Divorce
Divorce Procedures
Divorce Questions
Divorce Tips
Divorce Steps
Children And Divorce
Do It Yourself Divorce
Divorce Support
Divorce Settlement
Divorce Rights
Collaborative Divorce
Marriage And Divorce
Divorce Alimony
Divorce Proceedings
Contested Divorce
Divorce Counseling
Divorce Petition
Divorce Custody
Divorce Legal Advice
Divorce Adultery
Divorce In America
Divorce Child Support
International Divorce
Divorce Orders
Post Divorce
Property Divorce
Low Cost Divorce
How to Stop a Divorce
Quick Divorce